With a population of 2.1 million Paris is known to many as the city of love, art and fashion. Paris is one of the most beautiful cities in the world filled with quality food and amazing pastries. The historic city with over 130 museums consisting of one of the most visited museums in the world The Louvre with a vast collection of works to admire. There is so much to see and experience in the city that dates back to approximately 250 BC (Before Christ).
These are some of our favourite quotes about Paris that may just convince you to move there:
1) “If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.” - Ernest Miller Hemingway, Novelist and Journalist.
2) “There are only two places in the world where we can live happily: at home and in Paris.”- Ernest Miller Hemingway, Novelist and Journalist.
3) “When good Americans die, they go to Paris. Where do bad Americans go?' They stay in America.” - Oscar Wilde, poet and playwright.
4) “We'll always have Paris.” - Howard Koch, playwright.
5) “There is but one Paris and however hard living may be here, and if it becomes worse and harder even—the French air clears up the brain and does good—a world of good.” - Vincent Van Gogh, painter.
6) “He who contemplates the depths of Paris is seized with vertigo. Nothing is more fantastic. Nothing is more tragic. Nothing is more sublime.” - Victor Hugo, Writer and Politician.
7) “Paris is a place in which we can forget ourselves, reinvent, expunge the dead weight of our past.” - Michael Simkins, Author.
8) “Even the pigeons are dancing, kissing, going in circles, mounting each other. Paris is the city of love, even for the birds.”- Samantha Schutz, Author.
9) “Paris is the city in which one loves to live. Sometimes I think this is because it is the only city in the world where you can step out of a railway station—the Gare D'Orsay—and see, simultaneously, the chief enchantments: the Seine with its bridges and bookstalls, the Louvre, Notre Dame, the Tuileries Gardens, the Place de la Concorde, the beginning of the Champs Elysees—nearly everything except the Luxembourg Gardens and the Palais Royal. But what other city offers as much as you leave on a train?” - Margaret Anderson, Editor.
10) “London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation.”- G. K. Chesterson, Writer and Philosopher.
11) “Though you may leave Paris, Paris never really leaves you.” - Janice Macleod, Author.
12) “A walk about Paris will provide lessons in history, beauty, and in the point of life...”- Thomas Jefferson, Politician, Lawyer, Architect and philosopher.
13) “That Paris exists and anyone could choose to live anywhere else in the world will always be a mystery to me.”- Woody Allen, Film maker.
14) “Paris seemed to make good on the promise it made in every photograph of it she’d ever seen.” - Maureen Johnson, Author.
15) “Paris needs no reason. Paris is its own reason.” - Maureen Johnson, Author.
16) “Paris is a city where time is best to spend by doing nothing” - Erich Maria Remarque, Novelist.
17) “I was happy when I walked the streets of Paris by myself.” - Patrick Modiano, Novelist.
18) “What you don’t know about Paris, is that when you live there, over time, an invisible thread forms around your heart, and so when you leave, it always tugs you back.”- Robert Black, Novelist.
19) “Paris … is loath to surrender itself to people who are in a hurry; it belongs to the dreamers.…” - Julian Green, Author and Writer.
20) “Paris is narcotic for a man alone, a never-ending labyrinth where the anxiety of freedom is relieved.”- Federico Castigliano, Author.
21) “Paris isn’t a city, it’s a world.” - King Francis I, King of France
22) “Paris is always a good idea.” – Audrey Hepburn, Actress.
23) “You can’t escape the past in Paris, and yet what’s so wonderful about it is that the past and present intermingle so intangibly that it doesn’t seem to burden.” - Allen Ginsberg, Poet.
24) “Flowers never look so lovely as they do in Paris in the market there.”- Agatha Christie, Writer.
25) I cannot tell you what an immense impression Paris made upon me. It is the most extraordinary place in the world! – Charles Dickens, Writer.
Getting Around Paris & A Little Bit Of History
Paris is laid out like a well planned network. This is due to George-Eugène Haussmann, an official who redesigned Paris in the 19th century. He did this to add light to cities and curb diseases that were very dangerous at the time. He reimagined the city to be attractive, modern and improve the drainage and water supply in the city. George-Eugène Haussmann planning allowed Paris to become the aesthetic and dream-like environment it is known to be today but also, it has allowed movement within the city to be a lot easier due to the meticulous planning of how the city was to be laid out.
The best way to get around Paris is with public transport. You can use the metro (underground train), trams, trains, buses and get this night buses (pretty cool if you ask us)! The transport runs as early as 6am till 1am so if you are out to the disco or a little drink with your friends you won’t have to worry about getting home because there is a good chance there is public transport available for you!
Paris is very walkable. Many people within the city walk around to their intended destinations and a plus it is a little way to get some exercise and get some fresh air. Many attractions are also within walking distance and even if you aren't attending the sights in the city you can admire the amazing architecture of these outstanding and historic architecture within the city.
Bike Around The City
There is a growing network in Paris of cycling lanes. This is due to Paris authorities trying to make a push for less cars on the road which can ripple effect into less pollution and CO2 created. An initiative within the city is public bike sharing called Vélib’ Métropole this was to allow the masses to have the access to methods that can allow the city to collectively work towards a greener environment. Within the city there are around 700 km of cycling routes so that people can ride safely within the city.
Is Paris For You?
If you want to live in a city where there is always something to do, Experience and enjoy life around you, especially if you are artistic, this is a city where your roots can grow and thrive. Paris is a city with a landscape that will take you back in time and if you think this may be a city for you, go for it! Just make sure you plan ahead to make sure you can make the new city your home.