Summer in Barcelona is magical. It combines everything – the beautiful sunshine, the necessary ocean breeze, diverse culture, delicious food and a friendly atmosphere. Just take a moment and close your eyes. Picture yourself visiting festivals and various attractions, sightseeing, spending plenty of time of your day on Barcelona’s beautiful beach, swimming in the sea or playing volleyball, enjoying yummy ice cream and cocktails, with your feet buried in the warm sand. Sounds ideal, right?
So what exactly is there to do to make the most out of your summer in Barcelona?
Barcelona Summer Festivals
Barcelona festivals are extremely popular, especially in summer. And you are in for a treat – with so many of them you will have a hard time choosing, but we can guarantee you will have the time of your life no matter which you choose to attend. We’ve narrowed it down for you and selected top 5 most famous and diverse festivals you shouldn’t miss this summer. There’s something for everyone!
- Sónar (various locations, every June) -Fans of electronic music, contemporary art and media technologies will definitely have a blast at this International Festival of Advanced Music and Multimedia Art. You can educate yourself through many conferences and exhibitions during the day and party with live DJs at night. Some highlights of this year’s festival include: The Chemical Brothers, Skrillex, Duran Duran, and Die Antwood.
- Pride Barcelona (various locations, every June – If you’re looking for some colorful themes and just wanting to have a good time and educate yourself on gay pride, you definitely shouldn’t miss Pride Barcelona! The objective of Pride Barcelona is to promote respect for diversity, especially towards the gay community, by means of culture, entertainment and visibility.
- Sala Montjuïc outdoor film festival For those who aren’t that interested in large crowds and want to experience something a bit more relaxing. This amazing outdoor film festival even features a live jazz band in the early hours and a free bus service from Espanya metro from 8.30pm to 9.30pm and after the film, to make sure you get home safely.
- Festival del Grec (various locations, every July) – If you’re looking for a different cultural experience we definitely recommend Festival del Grec. You will find a variety of shows with a strong focus on dance and other types of entertainment.
- Music in the Parks (Música als Parcs) (various locations, June - August) – You definitely shouldn’t miss this one if you’re looking for a series of FREE outdoor jazz & classical concerts, mainly located in Barcelona’s parks. It’s an excellent way to support local and young Barcelona’s musicians.
Budget Summer Activities in Barcelona
– Visit local markets! From food markets Sant Antoni and La Boqueria, to flea markets Fira de Nautumismo and Mercat Del Encants and many many more. You can spend hours admiring the products and enjoying the atmosphere without even having to buy anything!
– Spend a day or two cooling off on the beautiful Barcelona beach! If you’re still looking for your dream home near the beach during this summer, you’re in for a treat – we have some beautiful apartments to rent!
– Visit a museum for free! Here is a complete guide to Barcelona’s museums and when you can visit them for free. Please note that you might have to visit on a certain day or during a certain time to have a free access.
– Enjoy the nature in Parc de la Ciutadella – Barcelona’s most beautiful park. Something is always happening here, whether it’s a yoga class or endlessly entertaining street performers. We are sure you’ll never have a dull moment.
– Admire Sagrada Familia – you don’t even have to go inside to get fascinated by this beauty that is still being finished.
– Stroll down Ruta del Modernisme and take a journey through the beautiful historical and architectural side of Barcelona without even spending a dime!
Experience the Best of Catalan Cuisine!
Join an off-the-beaten-path tour with the expert foodies at Devour Barcelona Food Tours. They’ll show you around the city’s best eateries, from mom and pop shops to local markets. It’s truly an unforgettable culinary experience, full of history, anecdotes and, of course, delicious treats.
Don’t Forget to Keep Fit!
With plenty of options available, you will have absolutely no excuses about keeping fit this summer. Enjoy a magical morning or evening run on the beach or decide to walk to various locations without taking a bus or metro. For those not wishing to spend too much money on fitness, you can use an outdoor gym on Barcelona beach and, of course, you can also enjoy many gyms available around the city.
Looking for a place to stay in Barcelona?
Feeling inspired yet? You’re almost there! Before you come to do all these marvelous things in summer in Barcelona you obviously will need to find a place to stay, which is where Spotahome can help! We provide hundreds of personally checked rooms, apartments, and studios in Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Granada or Seville. Check out all our available homes here. Your next house could look like this!
You may also like:
- How to Get Your Spanish Citizenship (EU Passport)
- How to Become a Freelancer in Spain: Going Autónomo for Dummies
- How to get empadronado in Spain: Where to go / What to do?
- 5 Things to Do as a Local in Barcelona
- Best Brunch Spots in Barcelona
- 3 Best Costa Dorada Beaches Close to Barcelona!
- Alternative Things to do in Barcelona: A Bohemian Guide