The capital of the Spanish region Catalonia. Barcelona is known for its amazing pieces of architecture and art from notable names such as Antoni Gaudí and Joan Miró.
In the last few years the city has developed a thriving startup and tech industry with over 1,800 startups within the city with entrepreneurs drawn to the city by the sun and natives being supported by government programs and start up visa programs drawing people to lift and develop the Spanish economy.
Barcelona is a city that you can get lost in and understandably so. If you think Barcelona is the city you may want to move to, let us convince you.
So without further ado here are 16 quotes that will make you want to move to Barcelona:
- “But if there was no Barcelona, why would you get out of bed in the morning?” - Ray Hudson, Footballer.
- “Even the moon was embarrassed by the beauty of Barcelona.” - Andrew Barger, Author.
- “To travel across Spain and finally to reach Barcelona is like drinking a respectable red wine and finishing up with a bottle of champagne.” - James A. Michener, Writer.
- “I went to have a look at the cathedral, a modern cathedral, and one of the most hideous buildings in the world.” - George Orwell, Novelist.
- “Barcelona, archives of courtesy, shelter of the foreigners, hospital of the poor, father-land of the brave, vengeance of the offended and pleasant correspondence of firm friendship, and in site, and in beauty, unique.” - Miguel de Cervantes, Writer.
- “Barcelona is Gaudí’s.” - Kamand Kojouri, Author.
- “Barcelona is a very old city in which you can feel the weight of history; it is haunted by history. You cannot walk around it without perceiving it.” - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Novelist.
- “And Barcelona. You should see Barcelona. It is still comic opera. First, it was the paradise of the crackpots and the romantic revolutionists. Now it is the paradise of the fake soldier. The soldiers who like to wear uniforms, who like to strut and swagger and wear red-and-black scarves. Who like everything about war except to fight. Valencia makes you sick and Barcelona makes you laugh.” - Ernest Hemingway, Novelist.
- “By day the old area of Barcelona is bustling, full of shouting, hammering, drilling and shutters being pulled up and down. You listen out for sounds. If you want a replacement gas cylinder you wait for the sound of the delivery man hitting a cylinder with a piece of metal in the street.” - Colm Tóibín, Novelist.
- “Barcelona I still long to hold her once more, oh My boots of leather From Europe I gather you know, know Every time you have to go Shut my.” - George Ezra, Artist.
- “There is no nightlife in Spain. They stay up late but they get up late. That is not nightlife. That is delaying the day.” - Ernest Hemingway, Novelist.
- “In the Sagrada Familia, everything is providential.” - Antoni Gaudí, Architect.
- “The expiatory church of La Sagrada Família is made by the people and is mirrored in them. It is a work that is in the hands of God and the will of the people.” - Antoni Gaudí, Architect.
- “We crossed spacious streets, with buildings resembling palaces, in La Rambla promenade; the shops were well illuminated and there was movement and life… I did not decide to go to sleep, even though I wished to, so I could rise early and contemplate, in daylight, this city, unknown to me: Barcelona, capital of Catalonia.” - Hans Christian Andersen, Author.
- “Allow me to state here how much I love Barcelona , an admirable city, a city full of life, intense, a port open to the past and future” - Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, Architect.
- “Barcelona , centre of the wise, model of purity, quarry of Kings.” - Baltasar Gracián, Novelist.
Digital Nomads In Spain
The Spanish government offers a digital nomad visa for interested expats. This is something that was implemented this month, January 2023!
In order to qualify for this visa here are a few things you need to take into consideration (side note some things are still to be finalised by the government):
- You need to have an employer that is outside of the country and be able to show proof.
- You need to have a monthly income to be able to support yourself and show proof of this.
- Establish a proof of accommodation.
As stated there are still things to be finalised but these are a few things you can start prepping for the release of the visa.
The city experiences hot summers and mild winters. Temperatures vary between 12 degrees Celsius to a high of 30 degrees Celsius. You will experience seasons living in Barcelona but it is a city that experiences little rain and is mostly warm than it ever is cold!
The hottest months are during May till August which if you love the sun and summer is amazing but be aware, this is also the time when tourists travel the most to experience the city themselves.
The public network of Barcelona is well connected. The city hosts metros (underground trains), trams, buses, trains and of course good old taxi’s.
The metro, trams and train run from 5am till midnight. After midnight the city has night buses! Pretty cool right. These buses run all night long (22:00 till 5am) so you never need to cut a good night out short in fear you can’t get home.
Thinking About Moving To Barcelona?
Barcelona is a city that offers a great quality of life for people who live there. There is a thriving nightlife, you can get lost in the rich culture, a beach close by and breathtaking architecture surrounding you. If this type of life appeals to you you should definitely take the leap to this amazing city.