Welcome to London my friends!
Now that you've finally moved to the best city in the whole world you might be planning to explore a bit of the rest of the UK or maybe head to the stunning coastline of Dorset or the beautiful city of Bath for the weekend. Excellent choice, but remember, once you leave the comfort of London's public transports, renting a car is the best option! And to do that, you may need to switch your driver’s licence for a UK driver’s licence.

Don't worry, Sab's here with a step by step guide to walk you through the process.


Ok, so moving to the UK and changing your driver’s licence is quite easy. for citizens of many countries and you should be able to drive in the country with no problems.

If you are moving to London from a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), you can use your existing driving licence. If you are from one of the EEA's countries then you can drive in Britain on your existing driver’s licence for a three-year period. After three years, you will be required to exchange your licence for a British one.
If you are arriving from other nations, you will be required to take a test before being permitted to drive.

Do you need to exchange your driver’s license in the UK?

To find out if you can drive in Britain on your existing licence, you should check the if your home country is listed among the countries that have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK. They are:

  • Australia,
  • Barbados,
  • British Virgin Islands,
  • Canada,
  • Falkland Islands,
  • Faroe Islands,
  • Gibraltar,
  • Hong Kong,
  • Japan,
  • Monaco,
  • New Zealand,
  • Republic of Korea,
  • Singapore,
  • South Africa,
  • Switzerland
  • Zimbabwe.


How to switch your foreign driving licence in the UK?

To exchange your licence, the process is fairly quick and easy. All you need to do is complete the “Application for a Driving Licence form” (known as a D1), which is available online or via most post offices. Then you have to return it to the DVLA along with your licence and the standard £50 fee charged for exchanging licences. A list of local DVLA offices is available here.

Remember that to exchange your licence, you must have a permanent address in Britain and have lived in the country for at least 185 days of the last year.

Additionally, note that the legal age to drive in Britain and Northern Ireland is 17, unlike many European countries where you must be 18 to drive.

Additional Information

You can find further information on exchanging your driver’s license in the UK
through the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency website. You can also check the 16-page booklet made by DVLA which contains all of the essential information about driving in Britain for overseas visitors.


So, are you ready for a road trip, now?

Need more tips about moving and living in London? Don't miss these articles: