Madrid may well be a bustling capital city full of energy and home to over 3m people, but it is also a very beautiful city with many places to escape and to relax.
If you are spending some time here and want to find relaxing things to do in Madrid, look no further! There are plenty of options for those that live here, and also for those that are visiting and want a few days to relax at the end of their city break.
Take a look at our list below:
El Retiro Park
El Retiro Park is known as the green heart of the spanish capital. When we have some free time from work this is our go to place.
The park is 350 acres and offers many places to relax. We suggest you do the following:
• Take a stroll – there are paths and maps all around the park and plenty of things to see. Just simply walk and explore the many monuments, rivers, ponds and buildings such as the Crystal Palace.
• Relax on a rowing boat – towards the top of the park is the very beautiful boating pond with the monument of King Alfonso XII. For 6 euros you can take a boat and enjoy.
• Take a picnic – in the warmer months this is the perfect place for a picnic. You will see groups of people spending the whole day here with friends and family.
Spas in Madrid
Madrid is a very beautiful city to walk around, but if you want to spend some time off your feet then check out one of its many spas.
There are many to choose from in the city centre. These offer individual treatments or experience days. Based on reviews and reputation we suggest taking a look at these three:
- Wellness Boutique Experience, Calle Campoamor, 5 , 28004 Madrid, Spain
- Kenika Thai Massage, Paseo de la Habana 42, Local Puerta Calle , 28036 Madrid, Spain
- Flotexperience, Field of the Star, 7 Barrio de las Tablas , 28050 Madrid, Spain
Temple of Debod
The Temple of Debod was a gift to Madrid from the Egyptian government and was erected in 1972. The egyptian temple itself is quite incredible to see, but what we really want you to do here is come for sunset.
Sunset here is said to be perfect. If you want to relax at the end of your busy day, this is the spot to come to. Bring some tinto de Verano in summer and a flask of hot chocolate in winter.
The Madrid River is home to a long linear park full of gardens, playgrounds, a beach, monuments, bridges and lots of nice viewing points.
We suggest that the best (and most relaxing way) to explore Rio Madrid is by bike. You can hire regular bicycles or the white bicycles that have a small electric motor.
Palace of Cibeles
The Palace of Cibeles is one of our favorite buildings in Madrid. It is also the place you can come to sit back, relax and have one of the best view of the city.
Here you can pay 2 euros to go to the viewing platform at the top and take in panoramic views of the city.
Afterwards, head down a floor and treat yourself to a drink or some food at the restaurant.
You can find the Palace of Cibles at Plaza de Cibeles behind the famous Cibeles Fountain.
There is so much to do in Madrid! But make sure you always take the time to find some relaxing things to do in Madrid to finish off your week here!
Looking for a place in Madrid? Spotahome has you covered.